Over the years the team at Gilbertsville Veterinary Hospital has seen many cats that have accidently ingested some common household items. Here is a list of the top most commonly treated cat toxins:

ibuprofenNon-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Medications (NSAIDS): The most common include Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Just like their canine counterparts, cats are very sensitive to these types of medications. Even a single tablet may lead to liver or kidney damage. If you suspect your cat may have been exposed contact your veterinarian immediately.

English Ivy: While it works great as an appealing ground cover, if eaten by your cat it can lead to vomiting, incoordination, sedation and difficulty breathing. While most cats leave this alone, if you notice your cat likes a little salad, best to keep them away from this plant.

Lillies (ANY OF THEM): While these are beautiful holiday flowers, they are very toxic to cats. Unfortunately, any part of the plant (petals, leaves, stems, water) can be dangerous. Not all cats become sick, but those that are sensitive can develop kidney failure. If you have an indoor cat, please leave these at the store.

Sago Palm: This is a tropical plant that is a new addition to many large hardware stores. If any part of the plant is eaten it is very toxic. Ingestion can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, dark stools and liver damage. If adding any new members to your indoor garden, leave this one alone.

Amaryllis: Another beautiful but deadly indoor flower. While it might be fun to nibble on a petal here and there, ingestion will lead to vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and possible tremors. Stick to roses.

Rodenticide (Rat Poison): This one’s a no brainer. If it kills rats, it’s probably not good for your cat. Most rodenticides contain anticoagulants, which will cause excessive bleeding. Please keep this out of any part of your house, and if your cat is exposed contact your veterinarian immediately. If treated early, many of the symptoms can be avoided. Got a rat problem? Get more cats.

Chocolate: The ingredients that are problematic for cats are closely related to caffeine. Because of cat’s smaller size, they are particularly sensitive to chocolate if ingested. While the most toxic are dark, semi-sweet, and baking chocolate, please contact your veterinarian if your cat is exposed to any of the above.

Marijuana: Baking some goodies at home? Please keep them sealed up in a container that cannot be opened by your cat or dogs at home. While a normal plate of cookies might only lead to a large bowel movement, this special ingredient may lead to a trip to the emergency hospital. Most common symptoms are dilated pupils, sedation, and difficulty walking.

For more information on toxins that can be harmful to your cat, check out the GVH Pinterest Board Poison Control.

Jonathan O. Smith, VMD – GVH Veterinarian

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This